As I was typing in the title, I was thinking the line between a muffin and a cupcake. Muffin is just a muffin, but is it always a cupcake once you add something on it? Like with these cupcakes (?) I added just a marshmallow fondant with a pattern on it, so has it now become a cupcake?
Anyway, as usually in the mornings my sons one of the first questions after breakfast is that do we need to bake? (Or as he says it “we need to bake”. “Täytyy leipoa.”) On this day we actually didn’t have anything since I gave the last name day cupcakes to my mom and my husband (finally) finished the carrot cake last night. I had been wanting to test the templates I had from the baking magazine, so we made some muffins and after the kids went to sleep for their day nap (for her to the second nap), I made some thick royal icing and used the leftover marshmallow fondants (from the butterfly cupcakes and moms birthday cake) I had. In between the muffin and fondant I put the leftover frosting from my sons name day cupcakes. Again good use for the leftovers!
CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKES (9 big cupcakes)
125 g butter
1 dl sugar
2 dl flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
200 g chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 175 C
- Mix the butter and sugar
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Add the flour (through a shifter)
- Add the baking powder
- Chop the chocolate into pieces (I used 100 g white and 100 g dark chocolate) and add into the dough
- Fill in the cups (1/2)
- Bake in the oven for 20 min
- Let cool down
- If needed, prepare the frosting, fondant and royal icing
- Put a thin layer of frosting on the muffins
- Roll the fondant into few mm layer
- Make the figure using the templates and royal icing on the fondant
- Cut out the figure (I used a big glass)
- Put the fondant on the frosting on the muffins and push the edges down
I used two paper cups for each muffin to keep the muffin from spreading too much (the Ikea cups aren’t too thick) and this also helped in making the fondant edge look smooth. In reality it is in top of the inner paper cup since the edges weren’t so smooth and my glass was slightly too big for these cups. Also the frosting was a bit too runny so my cupcakes were still bumpy (this is the idea of the frosting, to make the base even and to help the fondant to attach to the muffins).